Julius Braunnagel was born in Strasbourg, Alsace in 1857. After managing J B LaCoste's ice manufacturing plant (LaCoste built San Antonio's original pump and reservoir waterworks system), Braunnagel attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons in St. Louis, Missouri, graduating in 1883. Upon returning to San Antonio, Braunnagel held the title of city physician from 1883 to 1892. He also founded the Santa Rosa Hospital Training School for nurses. Braunnagel practiced medicine for over forty years before succumbing to tuberculosis in 1926.
In 1894 Dr Julius Lucien Alexander Braunnagel left his house on S Laredo and his wife of fifteen years, Mary Blanche, and moved into 212 City. He purchased this property, presumably perhaps, the year before his split with Mary from the estate of Thomas J Devine. Ten months after his divorce was finalized Braunnagel married Margaret (Margarite) C Hagans.
This house survived a lightning strike early in its existence which "knocked a hole from the roof to the floor" (San Antonio Light, 5-8-1900). Perhaps nostalgic for the old country, and maybe dissatisfied with the Spanish-speaking servant who was in their household in 1910, Braunnagel sought "A German or French woman for general housework for a family of two" in 1911 (San Antonio Light, 8-17-1911, p. 12). And on January 10, 1908, the Braunnagel’s acquired a permit for a kitchen addition, valued at $350.
Braunnagel petitioned Alamo Lodge No. 44 in 1903. This same year, he was initiated into the degrees of Freemasonry. He was 46 when he joined the craft and was a Mason for 23 years before his passing.
After Julius's death, Margaret continued to call 212 City St home until her passing in 1948. In 1950 the property was acquired by the Nat M Washer Lodge.
Once again becoming a home for Masons.
Dr. Julius Lucien Alexander Braunnagel
Source: The King William Area.. Mary V. Burkholder and Jessie N.M. Simpson.